Research and Production Post 10

Finishing Touches

During the last two weeks, I have been busy mixing and putting together all of the sounds I’ve recorded and all the music I have written over the months. I’ve recorded a variety of weird sounds over time including the sounds of various fruits being crushed (for guts and bodily damage), an empty beer keg being struck (for swords and other various metals), shoes and sugar peas rubbing together (for squeaky clothing), a few different atmosphere tracks and even some voice acting by yours truly.

While mixing, I quickly realized that a few more recordings could really better some of my sound effects. Like my gun sounds, a few other effects required a similar treatment in which I layer multiple recordings on top of each other to create a single sound. I booked out a studio and recorded more metallic sounds to help construct better sword strikes for Heavy Metal. I also recorded some velcro and tearing orange peels to add some breaking bones to the guts and gore.

Also, I’ve found my laptop can sometimes struggle to process so many sounds and tracks within a single session file. To lower the CPU usage, I began rendering a lot of the processed sound effects individually. This helped reduce the number of tracks and plugins within each session file.